Back in blog post 94 we revealed the next four traits (the one-off events which trigger when a card is deployed) that we’re adding to the game: Poison, Regeneration, Scout and Fear. Poison and Regeneration went in a while ago and as the Fear and Scout traits came online yesterday I wanted to talk about them.
This trait causes the opponent’s cards to deal less damage with their next X attacks (i.e. the damage reduction never changes but the number of attacks which are debuffed goes up as you keep leveling up this card).
As you can imagine, this trait can be useful in a wide variety of situations. If your opponent is set to inflict a lot of damage, or if they’ve been building up a big attack bonus, then deploying a Fear card means they either have to waste a load of potential damage or use different attacks first until they can get the Fear effect to expire. Even the latter outcome buys you time to maybe take out a critical enemy card or redeploy one of your own. Basically, this is a ‘disrupt’ trait which allows you to mess with the enemy’s plan.
Here are the cards which have swapped to the Fear trait:
- Brother Mhorkar, Legion of the Damned Legionnaire
- Brother Sirras, Ultramarines Reiver
- Interrogator-Chaplain Zachius, Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain
- Lieutenant Darrios, Ultramarines Reiver Lieutenant
- Irillith, Howling Banshee Aspect Warrior
- Lathrangil, Harlequin Solitaire
- The Spectre’s Smile, Harlequin Death Jester
- Kalistri the Huntress, Ynnari Howling Banshee Exarch
- Virus Carrier, Flayed One Outcast
- Gloguthrox the Foul, Death Guard Lord of Contagion
- Takrath Kulus, Crimson Slaughter Raptor
Servants of the Emperor
- Sly Marbo, The One Man Army
- Specimen: LV-808-WS-δ, Hive Fleet Leviathan Hive Tyrant
Deploying a card with the Scout trait gets you an immediate boost to one of your attacks as this card Readies X times (with X increasing as you keep upgrading this card). Although less dramatic than Fear this can be an extremely useful trait, letting you unexpectedly boost an attack right when you need it.
The obvious tactic is to add to an attack you’ve already prepared a boost for, but you can also use it to make two boosted attacks in a row, or even to undo the debuff from an enemy card’s negative Readying.
Here are the cards which have swapped to the Scout trait:
- Traldak, Genestealer Cults Acolyte Hybrid
- Specimen: LV-883-ID-Θ, Hive Fleet Leviathan Lictor
- Leatherback Hanes, Genestealer Cults Atalan Jackal
- Shas’ui Vass, T’au Sept Stealth Battlesuit
- Shas’vre Tassar, Vior’la Sept XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit
- One That Rips The Flesh, T’au Sept Vespid Stingwing
- Kor’vesa #0014931, Vior’la Sept MB3 Recon Drone
Servants of the Emperor
- Old Strider, Catachan Scout Sentinel
- Aximillion, Loyal Canid
- Jetek Suberei, Deathwatch Space Marine Biker
- Neophyte Laemodon, Aurora Chapter Scout
- Brother Erastes, Ultramarines Infiltrator
- Brother Garros, Ultramarines Invictor Tactical Warsuit
- Zephyrblade, Craftworld Saim-Hann Autarch
- Karandras, Phoenix Lord of the Striking Scorpions
- The Skyknife, Razorwing Jetfighter
- Ceghallan, Craftworld Ulthwe War Walker
- Carrion Flight, Sautekh Dynasty Tomb Blade Scout
- Bazza Da Blade, Blood Axe Clan Kommando
- Uzgob’s Dragsta, Bad Moons Clan Shokkjump Dragsta
- Bogrot, Evil Sunz Clan Biker
- Karanak, Khornate Hound of Vengeance
If you’re suprised that a specific card didn’t swap to one of these traits don’t forget that we have plans for 10 more traits underway, and as we don’t want to swap a card from its placeholder to a different trait more than once some are remaining with the old trait for now.
In the meantime it will be interesting to see what effect these traits have on the game’s balance and which new deck builds they unlock (and waiting to see how these changes ripple out is why we aren’t adding a load of traits in one go).
Let us know your thoughts on the new traits. You can get in touch by leaving a comment below, through our Facebook page or by mailing [email protected]. Also, if you’d like to follow our posts through RSS you can use this link: https://www.combatcards.com/feed/